Friday, December 6, 2013

Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt #1




In the Netherlands - and especially in the area where I live - quilting materials are not easy to find and/or very expensive.  I don't like to go shopping for fabrics because I have to choose what color, pattern, print etc.
When I think of quilting materials, I think of re-purposed materials like used clothing, sheets, table cloths etc. I like to puzzle with the materials I have.

The Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt will be a real challenge as I don't have a lot of fabric, and certainly not all proposed colors. Also the size of Bonnie's original designed quilt is huge! As I would like to make a smaller quilt, Bonnie advised me to start making only half the amounts of all the blocks of the smaller pattern.
I made a one sheet quick reference overview and used the free templates Bonnie offers to make my own template of sandpaper. Cutting the fabric is  a very precise job but I really enjoyed doing it. Sewing went far too quick - I want more!!!

But... as I don't know where the mystery path will lead me and how all colors will be used, I had to be strong and decided to make only a few blocks first when the new clues get revealed. I can always make more later.

It doesn't look all that bad, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment